Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Single Women's 30-Day Blogging Challenge: Day 1 - “And why are YOU still single?”

When I was single (age 23-30; I'm 36 now), I really didn't care why people thought I was single. I was doing exactly what I wanted to do. I was a full-time hair stylist working 3-5 days a week, 8 to 12 hours per day, managing my own time, minding and running my own business. No kids because I wasn't ready to be a mom, nor at that time did I come across any candidates that wanted to take me off the market. To me, it seemed like the men I came into contact with didn't want to settle down or even wanted to consider giving anyone the "girlfriend" title. So why bother?

I found society to be very sexist. They want young girls to be raised to want to be married and domesticated with more children than they need to raise, while at the same time raising young boys to 'bang' everything insight before settling down. How can two grown adults find a happy medium when they are raised to do the complete opposite? It just didn't make sense. Most of the men my age weren't ready for a committed monogamous relationship, so why look for one? I figured I'd go to work, make my money, travel, enjoy life and if I stumble across someone worth my time, I'd spend time to get to know him.

My last relationship ended when I was 23. I needed a break. It felt like a divorce trying to get rid of his ass. Once that was done, I focused on myself and just dated for the next 7 years. As I reflected on my dating life, I made a great observation. Most of the men I dated were Gemini. I am a Scorpio and found out from reading love horoscopes that there is a high attraction with Geminis and Scorpios. True. The sex would be great, but as far as a relationship, we just couldn't get it together. I also thought that my extensive work week didn't allow a man to date me in the typical Friday or Saturday night type of way. I always worked late on Fridays and Saturdays, so I would miss out on a lot of parties and social events. Most of the men that I dated were either self employed or worked a shift other than a 9 to 5. Guys would always assume that because I was a hair stylist, I was wild or 'messy' who always had a man because my occupation always put me around men or an atmosphere where men would be around some type of way. Totally not the case.

One day a client of mine who believed in astrology told me that a Pisces was my compatible sign. She must've been right because the next Pisces I dated ended up being my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment